Denver, CO asked in Civil Litigation, Collections and Small Claims for Colorado

Q: Can I collect fees associated with my small claim against a person I contracted for and will not pay documented amount?

I delivered a package for a gentleman I just started working with. We didn't have a contract, but I have many text messages documenting the time worked, receipts, and him saying he will pay me a specific amount.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Yes you can. Contacts can be formed via oral agreements, text messages, performance (action), and written agreement. Be aware that you have to prove that an agreement was formed. Based on your facts the text messages should prove this, but also collect any receipts or other evidence that you delivered the package. Lastly, to make the text messages are admissible, take pictures or screen dumps of the text message(s)--the court will not look at your phone or tablet.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.