Roscoe, IL asked in Family Law and Child Support for Illinois

Q: Both parents agree to 50/50 custody. Neither wants child support. What's the best way to proceed to make that happen?

No order in court yet. Will be doing this soon, both have representation but interested to hear other viewpoints. One lawyer says reserve judgement but I don't believe that removes the risk, just pushes it down the line. Is this true?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Angela Peters
Angela Peters
  • Arlington Heights, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: One of you needs to file the case in court. That person should work with an attorney to advise you on this. You could get all the way to court for the final day and the Judge does not agree to your deal about no one paying child support.

Perhaps both of you will have an attorney. But, you need some advise regarding this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.