Richardson, TX asked in Criminal Law and Family Law for Texas

Q: girlfriend is being charged for assault on family member, based off the description is there any way to avoid the charge

My girlfriend and I got in an argument last night. I tried calming down the situation by separating us but she had an assignment due the next day and needed my laptop. I was trying to go back to my apartment with my laptop so we could both relax and she was holding onto my shirt so I couldn't get away. The shirt gave me some irritation on the side of my neck where the shirt was rubbing against and I had some scratches from where she was holding onto the shirt. My shirt also ripped. But throughout this event I was never in any fear and I was never hurt by anything she did. I also hit her while trying to get away. At the end I decided fighting wasn't worth it and I gave her the laptop and we were both leaving. As she was driving away and I was walking to my apartment the police arrived because someone had called them. Neither of us called because neither of us felt threatened. My girlfriend ended up getting arrested and is now facing charges for assaulting a family member.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Sterling Guest
Robert Sterling Guest
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Forney, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: No one can offer up a complete case defense based on a one paragraph description. You need to hire a lawyer immediately who has experience getting family violence cases dismissed. There are a lot of ways to defend these case. While your version of events is important, you also need to know - What did the police put in their reports? Is there a 911 call? Is there any body-cam video? Did the police interview any other witnesses or take any pictures?

All those things determine how to best defend an assault case.

Kiele Linroth Pace agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.