Columbus, NC asked in Real Estate Law and Environmental for North Carolina

Q: If a seller knowingly does not disclose info on the Disclosure form does the current owner have any recourse?

We purchased a home in NC and the seller did not disclose that the kitchen sink, dishwasher and washing machine gray water is pumped into the woods not the septic and our inspector did not catch it. We only found out by accident through a local farmer. Our house is over 50 years old and is considered precode so the county code enforcement can not enforce it. Now we want to sell and the realtor says we have to fix it. Do we have any recourse with the original owners?

1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory Andrews Cade
Gregory Andrews Cade
  • Environmental Law Lawyer
  • Birmingham, AL

A: The first step is to contact the seller through your realtor and explain the situation to look for an equitable solution first. In case you decide to sue, you have to start out by going after every single party involved, then different parties will be removed as they're exonerated. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.