This site is undergoing scheduled maintenance. Please check back in a few minutes.
Whitehouse, OH asked in Adoption and Juvenile Law for Ohio

Q: Is it illegal for me to leave my adoptive parents house at the age of 17 if they threaten to put me back in foster care?

The dominate reason is because I have been sick since the day after Christmas and still haven't yet been able to relax to get better, I constantly lock myself away from the family in my room, I am currently having to go to court for "failure to clean my room up to my parents standards" otherwise known as insubordination. My room is clean they did not give me things to put my dishes in since I have been ready to move out since 2015. They have threatened to put me back in foster care due to bad grades,I have already talked to several counselors on the mater as well as my therapist, I am well beyond my toleration limit of my parents and am suffering with crippling depression on top of it all. I was working up until recently when my workplace shut down due to lack of business, I had money and my mother, Jackie Howard who works for Adriel, told me that more than 60 dollars came up missing out of my account and on top of this she faked my signature and put a new pin on my pay card.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Please talk to a school counselor or other trusted adult. If your parents already have you going to court, they could have you put back into the system if you leave. Or they could just let you leave and say nothing to anyone.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.