Phoenix, AZ asked in Immigration Law and Tax Law for Arizona

Q: Got green card 13 yrs ago but returned back to home country since then-never back to US. Any tax consideration?

Received the green card upon landing, stayed for 3 weeks, and never come to US again

Q1: I am assuming his green card status automatically canceled and NO further action needs to be done. If he needs to come to US again in the future, he can apply for a visitor visa. Can you confirm?

Q2. If he files the Form I-407, Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status, to clarify his status before applying for visitor visa to come to US for travel, are there any tax consequences to consider? He has never filed any tax returns for all years of absences.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michelle D. Wynn
Michelle D. Wynn
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Melbourne, FL

A: I am not an immigration attorney, but it is my understanding that the cancellation of a green card due to abandonment does not occur automatically. While USCIS can revoke Green Card status due to abandonment, it must take affirmative action to do so. If a Green Card holder has not received notice that the Green Card has been revoked, it is best not to assume it has for tax purposes. That being said, Green Card holders who been out of the country for extended periods of time often have trouble re-entering the US. I do not know about whether he would need to obtain a visitor visa before returning.

To avoid potential tax issues with regards to his situation, it may be advisable to look into the IRS's Streamlined Filing Compliance Procedures for US Taxpayers Residing Overseas. You can find additional information about the program here:

I recommend speaking directly to an immigration attorney about the Green Card status. If the immigration attorney confirms that the Green Card status is likely not automatically revoked, I recommend speaking with a tax attorney about IRS compliance issues.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.