Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Arizona Immigration Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Arizona on
Q: When the i130 asks for beneficiaries photocopy passport photo is it a normal photo or the whole passport photo page?
Kyndra Mulder
Kyndra Mulder answered on Jan 24, 2021

There is a request for passport size photos and a request for a copy of the passport id page. Read the insructions carefully. If in doubt provide both.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Arizona on
Q: How do I find out whether or not a person is a US citizen, how that was obtained, & what document would need to be filed

This seems so crazy to me but I'm actually asking these questions on behalf of my 60 year old significant other who was born in Copenhagen, Denmark in 1960. His mother married an officer in the US military who was stationed somewhere over on that side of the world back then. They married.... Read more »

Ify Princess Ikeakanam
Ify Princess Ikeakanam answered on Oct 10, 2020

Hey, you may be able to access his immigration records through the freedom of information act. You may need to know the case number for his moms application. Perhaps Kim is also a beneficiary of his stepfathers US citizenship. It is best to consulte an experienced immigration attorney before... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Arizona on
Q: I need advice to help a dear friend, who is like a granddaughter to me, to immigrate to USA from Albania, (citizenship)?

I was sponsoring her in nursing school and now she has graduated and has her RN degree. She will be age 22 on Nov. 13, 2020. I own my home and have a room all ready for her, here in Tucson.

Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black answered on Oct 4, 2020

There is no friend category that you can sponsor someone to get a green card from another country. Your friend can get a green card either by marriage to an American citizen or marriage to a green card holder. She can get a green card by getting sponsored for a job, but that job must be tied to the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law, Estate Planning and Probate for Arizona on
Q: A person with green card marries a US citizen, they pass away. What spousal benefits is the illegal entitled to?
Kyndra Mulder
Kyndra Mulder answered on Aug 18, 2020

What are you saying? Is the person a green card holder (LPR) or is the peson an illegal? A person can not be both.

If the person is an LPR with conditions s/he must remove the conditions by filing a waiver of the joint filing requirement.

If the person is a 10 year green card...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Arizona on
Q: Hello, can I married my boyfriend who is a US citizen with my B1/B2visa?

Hello, we are planning to get married my boyfriend, who is a U.S citizen and me. We were planning to get married on september, but due the Corona , the border is closed and I cannot enter the United Stated with my tourist Visa. I have a B1/B2 visa that expires on April 2021 and I also have a... Read more »

Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga answered on Aug 10, 2020

You aren’t supposed to enter the US to get married on a tourist visa. If you are questioned at the border, and it becomes clear that you plan to marry once you enter the US, your visa could be revoked, and you could be banned from entering the US for 5 years.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Arizona on
Q: My business partner lied on his DS-160 form in 2013 while applying for b1/b2.

My brother lied in his DS-160 form in 2013 while applying for b1/b2. He mentioned fake college name and degree in the form.The same info was repeated again in 2018 while filling DS-160 while renewing b1/b2 .He still has valid b1/b2 but is worried about future and wants to amend the mistake he made... Read more »

Adan Vega
Adan Vega answered on Jul 25, 2020

Your brother will require a waiver in requesting a non- immigrant visa or resident status. I recommend that you engage an experienced immigration attorney to assist and guide your brother.

Good luck to you.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Arizona on
Q: What is the average processing time for me a US citizen to get a green card for my wife who has over stayed her visa?
Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black answered on Jul 12, 2020

As a US citizen spouse sponsoring a foreign national, your wife would be considered an immediate relative. Currently it’s taking about a year from the filing until the interview date but maybe longer due to the covid crisis.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Arizona on
Q: Dual citizenship last name mismatch between 2 passports due to marriage. How to prove that both names are mine?

On passport of my origin country i have my maiden last name and on US passport i have my maiden last name + my married last name. The marriage happened in my country of origin, but later on, my husband changed his last name to reflect his biological father's last name trough the US court, so... Read more »

Amanda B Cook
Amanda B Cook answered on May 19, 2020

It's difficult to tell whether you are asking about US policies or the policies of your home country. If your home country is the one giving you the problem, then you need to speak to a lawyer who is licensed there. But generally speaking, you need to follow the paper trail. That means you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Arizona on
Q: What determines the length of stay on B2 visa - the stamp on passport and I-94 or is it fixed to max of 6 months?

Hello, my mom is an Indian Citizen and came to US in Nov 2019 on B2 visa. She was supposed to go back in Mar 2020 but due to Corona all the flights were cancelled. So now she is here and will be staying at least till june. By June she would have passed 6 months/180 days of stay in US. On her... Read more »

Adan Vega
Adan Vega answered on Apr 28, 2020

The FORM I-94 controls the period of time that the visitor can remain lawfully in the U.S.

Prior to the expiration of the B-2 status, your mother should proceed to file the FORM I-539 with USCIS to request an extension of the B-2 status.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Arizona on
Q: Will cash assistance harm my spouse when applying for his green card? I obtain that assistance and not him.

Good morning, I have a quick question in regards to TANF/welfare. I’m a US Citizen if I have applied for government assistance while dating my future spouse whom I’m planning to petition.

Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black answered on Apr 27, 2020

You will still be able to sponsor him but you will need a joint financial sponsor to assist you with the case.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Arizona on
Q: Is working as an exotic dancer illegal without an work authorization but i am currently married?

If yes, then why would the city of Phoenix grant the exoctic dancer license with only marriage certificate and K Visa?

Robert Roy Klein
Robert Roy Klein answered on Apr 15, 2020

Yes, it's illegal to work any job without authorization.

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law, Criminal Law and DUI / DWI for Arizona on
Q: If a illegal immigrant has EDC Court , what will most likely happened on that day
Adan Vega
Adan Vega answered on Mar 18, 2020

At an Early Disposition Court session, you as a defendant will be arraigned, and a plea agreement will be offered by the County Attorney. If you accept the plea agreement, sentencing will occur that day or at an EDC session. If you do not accept the offered plea agreement, you will be allowed time... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Arizona on
Q: Can my boyfriend and i get married now? She is american us citizen, and I'm only a green card holder for more than 3yrs

Would that affect any of my papers on process in the immigration?

Adan Vega
Adan Vega answered on Feb 12, 2020

A marriage between a U.S. citizen and a resident does not impact a process such as the FORM N-400 that you may have pending with USCIS.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Arizona on
Q: Do we need a wedding ceremony or can we get court marrieage or signed by our preist for GC?

My fiance and I've been in relastionship for more than a year. We are living together (6+ months) and engaged for about 3+ months. She is a US citizen and has never been married. Has a 6 year old kid. Both of us have good jobs. I'm currently on H1-B and never out of status. My GC is filed... Read more »

Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga answered on Jan 14, 2020

Either a court marriage or a church marriage, as long as it is recognized by the state, are valid marriages. It doesn’t have to be a big affair.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Arizona on
Q: Naturalization form asks if spouse is working, would affirming he works affect his immigration case?

How can I answer this question so it does not affect our immigration cases? I don't want him to to be persecuted; he is currently in process for becoming a resident, and is just waiting for his priority date.

Laurel Deborah Scott
Laurel Deborah Scott answered on Dec 31, 2019

Well, the facts are the facts. If you are asking whether you should like on your N-400, my answer obviously is "no". Don't like on your N-400. If you are asking whether he has adverse facts in his case, then "yes", he probably does. How adverse that information is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Arizona on
Q: Us citizenship for my daughter

I am a US citizen living and working in the states, my daughter was born in the UK and has a british citizenship. The US embassy in the UK denied her application because they believe I did not provide sufficient documentation regarding my 5 years of physical presence in the US.

My daughter... Read more »

Masoud Jahani
Masoud Jahani answered on Dec 14, 2019

The subject of your question comes under derivative citizenship. You may have applied by filing an I-130 petition and you were asked for supporting documents.

The requirements for derivative citizenship are below:

A child born outside of the United States automatically becomes a...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law for Arizona on
Q: Can I petition my fiance from the philippines after I get my US Citizenship?
Denise Anderson
Denise Anderson answered on Sep 27, 2019

Yes, you can file a petition for your fiance after you obtain your U.S. Citizenship. I recommend that you speak with an Immigration attorney who can explain the options that are available for you as it pertains to filing for your fiance.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law, Education Law and Public Benefits for Arizona on
Q: I'm a senior in college and I've been using FAFSA ever since freshman year. Will that hinder my citizenship application?

I've never failed any classes. I'm actually an honor roll student and have been awarded scholarships.

Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler answered on Aug 13, 2019

If you have falsely claimed to be a U. S. citizen on the FAFSA, among other issues, you can be placed in removal proceedings for deportation.

I strongly recommend an appointment or teleconference with a competent and experienced immigration attorney before there are any complications. Good luck.

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law for Arizona on
Q: I am a US citizen and trying to marry an illegal immigrant will we have problems?

We live in Arizona what is the full process of getting married here?You

I am trying to get married. My boyfriend is illegal but has a passport and I have my ID..if we go to get the marriage license will we have problems? If not then once we have the marriage license will there be any... Read more »

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Jun 12, 2019

Most States will allow the Marriage. But the problems come later, such

as whether he can work, bank, build up Social Security for his Dependents...etc. If he is deported, it may be a nightmare without end for you and your Family. I suggest he obtain competent immigration counsel and...
Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law for Arizona on
Q: Can I (a US Citizen) petition my step daughter?
Ms Grace I Gardiner
Ms Grace I Gardiner answered on May 22, 2019

If the marriage took place before the child’s 18th birthday you certainly can apply for her green card

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.