Pataskala, OH asked in Divorce and International Law for Ohio

Q: What to do to avoid possible bigamy for a new marriage?

Couple married back in 2006 at the U.S.embassy in s. Korea, and they never filed their marriage in the states after moving back from the base. They've since split and she's remarried for the past two years. Problem is, he's never signed any divorce papers, and she marked never been married on her current marriage license. I'm the new fiance to him, and we're trying to get married legally. What should I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: They need to get divorced. There's really no reason to suspect anyone would be charged with an offense. But, if you want to be free and clear, you need to get the two of them to get a lawyer in S. Korea to put through a legal divorce.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.