Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Ohio International Law Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Traffic Tickets and International Law for Ohio on
Q: I need to pay court fines in Sydney Australia. I’m in the states. I’ve been told pay through Bitcoin

I’ve been told the court only excepts payment through Bitcoin. I find that hard to believe. Is this a scam? My friend hit a parked car but didn’t stop. There was no injuries. He is under house arrest now. I’m not comfortable paying that way

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
answered on Apr 11, 2022

While you should ask a lawyer in Australia, technically, this seems like it is almost certainly a scam.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in International Law and Probate for Ohio on
Q: My Canadian husband died intestate in Ohio. I'm a US citizen. We had no children. He has 1 adult child in Canada.

His Canadian estate consists of the contents of a storage container of household goods in BC and stock in a Canadian company at the time of his death. He was a resident of BC prior to joining me in Ohio. He did not own any vehicles, bank accounts or real estate in Canada. His US estate consists of... Read more »

Andrew Popp
Andrew Popp
answered on Jul 21, 2021

A detailed analysis of all the pertinent facts is necessary before anyone can give you a definitive answer. I recommend sitting down with a probate attorney in your area for a full consultation.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Constitutional Law, International Law and Libel & Slander for Ohio on
Q: Can I be sued from someone outside the US?

I am located in the USA. Someone living in Spain, is threatening to sue me for "defamation" in regards to something I wrote about them on my personal Twitter account. Can they sue me from their country, and aren't my opinions written on my personal Twitter account protected by the... Read more »

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
answered on Mar 6, 2017

Free speech protections do not apply to defamation, and opinions are not defamation. Defamation is a false statement of fact (not opinion) that damages a person's reputation. If I say John the surgeon is the worst, I am not uttering defamation because that's my opinion of John. If say... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and International Law for Ohio on
Q: What to do to avoid possible bigamy for a new marriage?

Couple married back in 2006 at the U.S.embassy in s. Korea, and they never filed their marriage in the states after moving back from the base. They've since split and she's remarried for the past two years. Problem is, he's never signed any divorce papers, and she marked never been... Read more »

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
answered on Feb 28, 2017

They need to get divorced. There's really no reason to suspect anyone would be charged with an offense. But, if you want to be free and clear, you need to get the two of them to get a lawyer in S. Korea to put through a legal divorce.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and International Law for Ohio on
Q: I was an international student with f1 visa

I was caught with 6 gram of marijuanas. i was taking into a police department and i signed some paper then i was released after 2 hours. i was entered into pre judgment probation. however, I was discharged from the pre judgment probation 3 months ago. after i earned my bachelor degree i went back... Read more »

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
answered on Sep 16, 2016

What exactly do you mean when you say you were discharged from the program? Were you then sentenced? And, if so, did you serve your sentence? If there is a warrant for you, it will be a problem when you try to get a new visa. If you were simply sentenced to a fine or probation and completed that,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and International Law for Ohio on
Q: Can i marry in US to a person living in another country thru a notarized especial power for immigrtion purposes?

My partner is in Cuba, but Cuba doesn't allow gay marriages.

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
answered on Jun 6, 2016

If you want to marry a foreign citizen, your best bet is to apply for a finance visa, bring the person to the US and get married here.

1 Answer | Asked in International Law for Ohio on
Q: what are rules of international customary law

Elements of customary law

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
answered on Jul 5, 2015

There are entire books written on this subject. The basic idea is to analyze historical state practice and those things that states have adopted in their own laws to determine whether a custom of following a certain practice due to moral considerations exists. If a legal custom exists, it may be... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.