Crestview, FL asked in Bankruptcy and Social Security for Florida

Q: Can my wife get an early installment on her SSI so we don't have to take bankruptcy.

She wants to use part of her SSI lump sum amount to get us out of debt with our creditors as the amount owed keeps going up each month. Can a judge order Social Security to pay the installment so we can get out of debt. We want to pay what we owe instead of taking bankruptcy. If we can't pay our creditors soon, we will be forced to take bankruptcy.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
K. Hunter Goff
K. Hunter Goff
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Minneola, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You may be able to protect the SSI lump sum payment and file bankruptcy to discharge your debts. You could also choose to use your wife's SSI lump sum payment to attempt to settle your debts without the necessity of a court order. If I were eligible to file bankruptcy and protect my SSI payment and still eliminate my debts through bankruptcy, that is the option I would choose.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.