Monterey Park, CA asked in Consumer Law for Idaho

Q: Can we sue "AcceptanceNow" in small claims?

My fiancé and I recently purchased a table from Ashley's Furniture under the impression we were "buying" it and making payments to pay it off. Well after 90 days we found out we were going to be charged $1500 for the initial $500 table. We told them that we were NEVER informed that we had 90 days to pay it off, cause if we had, then we wouldn't have set up a $120/month payment plan minutes after "being told about this 90 day deal" KNOWING we wouldn't make the cut in that 90 days. Essentially setting us up for failure. 3 weeks before the birth of our newborn. It's absurd. Now we are being forced to pay 300% more. I spent a couple hours online reviewing this "business" and I founded thousands upon thousands of extremely negative reviews from across the country, and HUNDREDS with the SAME story. And by the way, we keep all our paperwork/receipts and no where does it state this 90 day thing. Maybe in THEIR paperwork small print (which they never gave us the time to read). We've been duped.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Glenn B. Manishin
Glenn B. Manishin

A: You can file a small claims action in Idaho for up to $5,000 without an attorney. Based on the facts you allege, your claims would be for breach of contract and misrepresentation/fraud. It would be important to allege that the 90-day price point increase was not set forth in the rental contract and was told to you, orally, falsely. Note that the prior online reviews are hearsay, likely inadmissble as relevant to reputation, but possibly within an exception for motive or plan.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.