Asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Divorce for Puerto Rico

Q: I been living in PR since Nov. w/my daughter. My ex lives in FL & is wanting to file divorce would he have to file here?

I have had my 2 year old under my care since she was born. I have been on and off with my husband the father of my daughter for the past two years. We actually only lived together under my parents household in FL for 5 months since our daughter was born and then we have been separated. I finally decided to leave FL when my parents sold there home over there and I came to PR to live with them. I had truly no other option since the father hasn't been consistent with supporting his daughter nor debts we acquired together. He is now wanting to file divorce and stating I would have to go back to Fl. I'm not in agreement with the divorce and he also had taken my information trying to file an uncontested divorce online through complete case. However, I found out what he was up to and I informed him I'm not in agreement with divorce and I'm not in agreement with 50/50 custody. Can he court order me to return to Fl? Or since now I and his daughter reside in PR would he have to file here?

1 Lawyer Answer

A: November was about three months ago. Under the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act, which is the law in Florida, the courts of this state have jurisdiction to award custody, because the child has not been in Puerto Rico for at least six months. Puerto Rico has not adopted the UCCJEA.

So it's possible that the Florida court could order you to return the child to Florida.

I suggest that you find an attorney in PR who is also admitted to practice in Florida.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.