San Antonio, TX asked in Civil Rights, Criminal Law and Family Law for Texas

Q: What can I do when I am told by a family member that they filed a restraining order after I had called the police

I was attempting to initiate the sale of a firearm that was being held by my father, it was purchased and was legally in my name. I only asked the police to mediate and they agreed because he refused to give it to me. Without having spoken to any member of my family - there was an eventual agreement and I got my gun back. After the police left and we parted ways, I was told that he was pressing charges and to cease all contact by all members of the family. When i received that message I ceased all contact. They have all of my property and now I am unable to speak to anyone for fear of retaliation. I have no money and am facing an eviction from my apartment, which was why I attempted to retrieve my property in the first place. How can I even begin to solve this Problem? I have not been contacted by the police or courts yet and do not know what to expect. He is an emotionally abusive person and now my entire family is against me because I was trying to give myself the right to sell it

1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Saputo Jr.
Paul Saputo Jr. pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: I suggest you look at the options on the website of the Texas State Bar:

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.