San Diego, CA asked in Foreclosure for California

Q: How to get an extension of time in District Court Southern California

I filed a lawsuit in United States District Court Southern California, defendants have responded with request for judicial notice in support of motion to dismiss. My suit is an unlawful foreclosure. Hearing date is March 17, 2017 Is there a form?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
  • Brooklyn, NY
  • Licensed in California

A: It sounds like you want to file and serve a continuance. You would have to draft such a request yourself. Head to your local law library for resources. You have to inform the other party and properly serve them. If they stipulate to the continuance, make sure it's in writing, and then attach that to your filed Application for a Continuance in court. Refer to the local court rules of your court for information re: filing continuances there: each court has specific requirements for doing so, and for filing applications and motions. Follow them carefully. More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website. I practice law in CA, NY, MA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business & Contracts, Criminal Defense, Divorce & Child Custody, and Education Law. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.