Washington, DC asked in Tax Law for District of Columbia

Q: I filed my taxes using TurboTax's free online service. Is there a way for me to "cancel" my filing and re-do them?

I feel that the amount I owe Washington D.C. is incorrect, and that I must have filed them incorrectly. I'd love to just "cancel" and start over.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Stanley H Block
Stanley H Block
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Pikesville, MD

A: This may be software specific, but I do not believe you can "cancel" your return. You may need to amend if your return has already been e-filed and processed. However, if for some reason your return gets reject you may be able to make changes and resubmit.

A: There's no such thing as canceling a return. You would need to file an amended return correcting any errors on the original return.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.