Atlanta, GA asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Utah

Q: My husband and I are getting married next month. Im the only one working do i have to pay child support?

He has 4 other kids with 4 other woman. He dont have a job and he is incarcerated. He does not plan on working for the rest of his life. I always work. Will I end up paying child support? If I end up paying child support is there anyway I can have custody if the child if the Mother is living off the government?

1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Waldron
Paul Waldron
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Orem, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: In Utah, a spouse is not liable for a new spouse's child support obligation. It is unlikely that you can obtain custody of a step child on the basis that the natural mother with custody of the children is living on government support. You will need to consult with a Georgia lawyer to learn more about what it might take for you to obtain custody of a step child. Best wishes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.