Peterborough, NH asked in Criminal Law and Consumer Law for New Hampshire

Q: I have an ex-husband claiming to have 'banned' me from my favorite restaurant, police have not contacted me am I banned?

He does not work there, he just goes there often, and sees me there on occasions, we do not speak to each other, I do not cause problems, he claims he is close with the manager and that is how he has gotten me 'banned' So, do, I need to stop going to the restaurant? Is there further action he could take just by knowing the manager and going there frequently? Do you recommend I get a civil restraining order before something happens? Or can I go about my business and ignore his child like behavior?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brian Lehman
Brian Lehman

A: There are two ways you can be banned. First, a court may issue an order restraining where you can go. That did not happen here based on what you wrote.

Second, if the restaurant is on private property, the owner or the owner's agents (perhaps the manager) can tell you not to go on their property. If you do so, then you could be accused of trespassing which might be a criminal or civil violation.

You can choose what you want to do with respect to the "stop going to the restaurant" question.

A lawyer could give you advice on your question as to whether to get a restraining order as more questions need to be answered before taking that step.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.