New Hampshire Consumer Law Questions & Answers

Q: What can I do if an auto repair shop will not refund me for work I paid for and he hasn't done.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for New Hampshire on
Answered on Nov 5, 2018
Joseph Kelly Levasseur's answer
First you should demand payment by letter. when that doesn't work you should file in small claims court if you meet the requirements. Filing a small claims case in NH is now done by computer and relatively easy to handle. Good luck!

Q: Can not identify New Hampshire small claims rule 4.1(D)(3) and 4.1(D)(3)(d) used by attorney filing complaint.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Collections and Small Claims for New Hampshire on
Answered on Mar 15, 2018
Joseph Kelly Levasseur's answer
I looked over the rules and I don't see them in there either. You can file a motion to dismiss for failure to state a claim for which relief can be granted and state the same reasons you stated here. He might be using old rules that have been updated and no one ever called him on it. The plaintiff will probably then simply amend his complaint, which the court will most likely allow. Good Luck!

Q: Can hotels in NH throw you out in the middle of a blizzard state of emergency

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for New Hampshire on
Answered on Mar 13, 2018
Joseph Kelly Levasseur's answer
If you can't afford to pay for room the hotel has no obligation to keep you in the room for free. They can't discriminate against you but they don't have to board you for free.

Q: I was building a house as a sub contractor and left tools behind can the home owner claim them as abandoned?

1 Answer | Asked in Construction Law and Consumer Law for New Hampshire on
Answered on Dec 8, 2017
Joseph Kelly Levasseur's answer
Since he made the threat of holding a gun on you, you should file a complaint with the police department and have them go with you to get your property back. If the property owner feels you owe him money he can't resolve the issue by keeping your tools and threatening you, that is why we have a court system, to resolve civil issues. Good Luck!

Q: If an Motion is filed in a NH Superior Ct, how long does the defendant have to file an Objection?

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Civil Litigation for New Hampshire on
Answered on Oct 19, 2017
Joseph Kelly Levasseur's answer
Depends on what kind of Motion it is, generally speaking-10 days...

Q: I have an ex-husband claiming to have 'banned' me from my favorite restaurant, police have not contacted me am I banned?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Consumer Law for New Hampshire on
Answered on Mar 5, 2017
Brian Lehman's answer
There are two ways you can be banned. First, a court may issue an order restraining where you can go. That did not happen here based on what you wrote.

Second, if the restaurant is on private property, the owner or the owner's agents (perhaps the manager) can tell you not to go on their property. If you do so, then you could be accused of trespassing which might be a criminal or civil violation.

You can choose what you want to do with respect to the "stop going to the...

Q: I have a question ,we live in nh and have a mortgage on house the mortgage is in my moms name and my husband and I pay

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for New Hampshire on
Answered on Nov 13, 2015
Terrence H Thorgaard's answer
No, you are not responsible for her debt. If she is the only one who signed the mortgage note, and were the lender to foreclose, you wouldn't be liable for a deficiency judgment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.