Fruitland Park, FL asked in Energy, Oil and Gas and Real Estate Law for Oklahoma

Q: I own 140 acres of mineral rights in Oklahoma but 40 acres has another persons name I do not know. How do I remove?

How do I remove him. I believe that the mineral rights ownership was never updated when deeded to my mother over 60+ years ago.

1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Winblad
Richard Winblad
  • Edmond, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: It is unlikely that you will be able to remove the other person if they are in the chain of title. It is not unusual for mineral interests to be fractionalized. You can only remove somebody if they are a stranger to title. For example, if a deed or conveyance mistakenly included the wrong legal description. Start with a mineral title opinion. This is not inexpensive.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.