Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Oklahoma Energy, Oil and Gas Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas for Oklahoma on
Q: I have a mineral deed for a producing well in Oklahoma that has a term interest of 99 years that is about to expire.

My question is in Oklahoma if a well is producing shouldn't it continue? What is the law regarding a producing well?

James Tack Jr
James Tack Jr answered on Jul 28, 2021

Whether the term interest continues past the 99 year term is dependant on the exact wording in the instrument which created the interest. There are fixed term interests. For example "for a term of 99 years." And there are interests which continue for as long as there is production from... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas, Probate and Estate Planning for Oklahoma on
Q: What is the process for making the oil company to pay out the royalties owed to our branch of the family?

My great aunt died intestate with oil interests and royalties. She died a widow with no children. She had 3 sisters and one brother. Her estate was resolved and the oil interests and royalties were paid except to one branch of her heirs - her one sister who is my grandmother. My grandmother died... Read more »

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Jun 14, 2021

This is not a question that can be answered or resolved on a free online forum. You will need two Oklahoma attorneys who can help you with this - a probate attorney and an oil and gas attorney. If you would like some recommendations, write to me directly at and I can... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas, Estate Planning and Probate for Oklahoma on
Q: My father died without a will and I want to know what is required to transfer the mineral rights to me and my siblings.

Okla affidavit of heirship requires a 10 yr waiting period, what is another option with a shorter waiting period?

James Tack Jr
James Tack Jr answered on Apr 27, 2021

You need to do a probate of the estate. This is because mineral interests are an interest in real property and to pass marketable title you have to have to probate of the estate. The affidavit of heirship is for severed mineral interests and is a method to obtain marketable title if the affidavit... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas for Oklahoma on
Q: if a utility is in a persons name , in oklahoma, is that the person who is responsible for this bill
Jessica Brown
Jessica Brown answered on Mar 23, 2021

Generally, yes. There are some exceptions to this, but I don't have enough information here to know more.

2 Answers | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas and Estate Planning for Oklahoma on
Q: My mother passed away with a trust. She put her mineral rights in the trust. The attorney who created her trust has

Passed away as well. The law firm told me that the attorney put the wrong legal description on her mineral rights. Is the law firm responsible for correcting this for me?

James Tack Jr
James Tack Jr answered on Mar 2, 2021

The liability of the law firm could depend on a number of factors that are not revealed in your question: The nature of the mistake and how it occurred. Any complicity in the mistake by your mother. How long ago this happened. The relationship between the firm and the attorney. If you... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas, Libel & Slander and Estate Planning for Oklahoma on
Q: How do I find out if a parcel in Oklahoma had restrictive covenant, mineral rights, water and oil or gas rights attached

I am a beneficiary to a trust that possibly had roylity rights to a property to which have been subject to fraud. I am also the beneficiary residing in another State.

James Tack Jr
James Tack Jr answered on Jan 18, 2021

You would need to research the land records covering the land, which are found in the county clerk's office of the county where the lands are located. Oil and gas titles can be very complicated. You could hire an oil and gas attorney or an oil and gas landman to do the search.

1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas for Oklahoma on
Q: Is there any lawyer of merit who can tell Okla Corp Comm to follow and not break O.S. Title 52, #52-552?

My deceased relative was force pooled on Day 0. This triggers this OK Statute for the holder, the mineral owner's heir and the State of OK. The holder is supposed to try and find the heir for 365 days. OK butts out except to require reports and an escrow account for funds due the owner. In my... Read more »

James Tack Jr
James Tack Jr answered on Oct 25, 2020

Interests in oil and gas are interest in real property. The transfer of real property is governed by the laws of the state in which it is located, not where the deceased or owner is located. Regardless of whether the monies are held by the company pooling the interest, the Corporation Commission,... Read more »

4 Answers | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas for Oklahoma on
Q: Oil rights

My uncle died in Oklahoma several years ago, never married, had no children, left no will, and had oil rights. His brother, my father, is also deceased and left 4 children (I'm the oldest). How much would it cost to settle this estate? Marathon Oil (Houston, TX) has this account and... Read more »

Matt Fleischer
Matt Fleischer answered on Oct 16, 2020

The answer depends on many factors, but it sounds like you are probably looking at a joint probate of two estates if you want to legally transfer the minerals from your uncle to your father's children. That being said, bear in mind that if there are liquid assets in the estate (like royalty... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas for Oklahoma on
Q: Division order analyst used older deed. Correct deed on file. Now we are 9 mo. after first production. Still no check.

Correct deed on file since 2006. Probate not the problem. No other oil companies have had this problem with having the right mineral deed to work from. Do they owe us the 12% penalty from date of first sale? How do we get them to pay? Do we have to go to court?

Richard Winblad
Richard Winblad answered on May 12, 2020

You need to find out from the company whether they have any title requirements that need to be fixed. If you believe that you have clear title send them a certified letter with an IRS W-9 along with your address. Companies are unlikely to pay 12% interest unless they are pressed. If there is an... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas for Oklahoma on
Q: An Oklahoma oil company refuses to honor to pay lease bonuses to heirs after a will was probated

I have a probate decree and deeds as proof of ownership

Richard Winblad
Richard Winblad answered on May 11, 2020

Dealing with oil companies can be frustrating.

It is difficult to answer your question with the limited facts. Was the property probated in Oklahoma? Who signed the leases? Have the leases been filed?

Many companies are bad about paying lease bonuses even when title is clear....
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas for Oklahoma on
Q: It has been 9 months since first production. How do I get the oil company, Red Wolf, to pay the 12% late fee?

Do they pay 12% for the nine months or only the 3 overdue months? They were trying to use an old title that was not current. I consider this their responsibility to have the correct title as it is easily available. Is this correct? This is for 6 new wells. I am still waiting on my first check.

Chaille Walraven
Chaille Walraven answered on May 11, 2020

In Oklahoma, operators are required to remit payment within six months from the date of the first sale of production. Failure to do so can trigger late interest payments pursuant to 52 Okla. Stat. § 570.10. You are correct that if you have marketable title, you are entitled to 12% interest on late... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas for Oklahoma on
Q: My deceased Father had a 1/3rd share in a mineral rights lease which was probated. The oil company won't honor lease

Who signs a lease when the owner is dead or can't be located? Does the oil company have to give the same lease to my Dads' heirs?

Matt Fleischer
Matt Fleischer answered on May 8, 2020

If the lease is still valid, either because it is in its primary term or has been extended into its secondary term due to production on it, then the lease is still good and the company (and your dad's heirs) must honor it. However, in such a situation, the oil company can escrow any royalties... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas for Oklahoma on
Q: MY brothers who were executor and co-executor of my mother will will not sign over my part of the mineral rights and

oil leases. it has gone through the courts and the judge has signed off on it. they have 4 years of money from one of the leases. I cant it them to answer my calls or sign anything over or even give me the name of the oil companys. do I need a lawyer ?

Chaille Walraven
Chaille Walraven answered on Mar 12, 2020

As a general rule, at the completion of a probate proceeding in Oklahoma the district court will enter an order that all assets remaining in the estate be distributed to the heirs-at-law if there is no will or to the legatees/devisees if there is a will. If there was a probate proceeding you should... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas for Oklahoma on
Q: Inherited land and minerals in OK . Got a division order to sign. Would a new lease or agreement have to be signed?
Richard Winblad
Richard Winblad answered on Feb 3, 2020

Probably not. You are likely bound by your predecessor’s lease (or pooling order) for the well in question.

Also. You are entitled to royalties in Oklahoma even if a division order is not signed by you. Some companies try to get concessions with orders. But make sure they have your tax...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy and Energy, Oil and Gas for Oklahoma on
Q: I have questions about filing bankruptcy on an ENERGY LLC ?

I need to know the best way to save my producing wells which is my only income from getting shut down by Oklahoma Corporation Commission because they are making me clean up a huge salt water mess. I have proof my leak could not have caused the amount of contamination that has been found. My leak... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Nov 10, 2019

You will have to file suit against them and present the proof in court

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Energy, Oil and Gas for Oklahoma on
Q: I was not notified of a 18' natural gas pipe to be replace on my property line. Was a notice required?

Pipe runs straight down property line with 25' just for access easements on each side. Now there is going to be a turn on to my property about 3 to 4 feet in towards my property from NW corner. This will change easement agreement, pushing into my property. I was never notified and they are on... Read more »

Doak Willis
Doak Willis answered on Jun 27, 2019

If I understand your question and facts, your stating that the new pipe line will be on your property outside of the established easement which would require your consent otherwise you would be entitled to some compensation or a removal of the pipe line back within the easement already established.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas, Real Estate Law and Probate for Oklahoma on
Q: Oil and gas leases in a minors name with listed custodians on it, what rights do they have as non legal guardians

Parents didn't give permission for anything listed in the minors name to be conveyed or sold. Grandparents listed themselves as custodians. Conveyed everything to themselves from the children.Grandchildren never received anything on the oil and gas revenues.

Richard Winblad
Richard Winblad answered on Jun 20, 2019

If the children are now adults they may want to pursue a quiet title action against the grandparents.

1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas for Oklahoma on
Q: I don't agree with a Division Order's interest. What are my rights?

I wrote "Disputed" on the Division Order and sent it back after inheriting a portion of the lease. Producer (Butkin Oil) takes 80%, by their own admission and won't say where the other 20% goes. My owner interest is less than .002%. It also appears that I am paying state taxes for... Read more »

Richard Winblad
Richard Winblad answered on Jun 20, 2019

Oil and gas law is complicated. The operator typically has the lion's share of the revenues because it pays for all the expenses and therefore has all the risk. If they spend a million and the hole is dry they eat all of the cost. However, a royalty interest owner pays nothing.

Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas for Oklahoma on
Q: Is it legal for an individual to sell a portion of their non-participating royalty interest then distribute the revenue?

Sam has bought Texas and Oklahoma mineral acreage/interest for the past 40 years. Some has become producing and he sells some of his interest to others by executing deeds for them. He does not instruct these "investors" to request division orders directly from the operators by... Read more »

Richard Winblad
Richard Winblad answered on Apr 2, 2019

Buyers should contact the operators directly with the documentation, request Division Orders and provide W-9s.

1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas and Landlord - Tenant for Oklahoma on
Q: What do I do? I'm pregnant the landlord is not doing their job to fix things.

We moved in Bradford Square Apartments September 14th and still nothing has been fixed I'm pregnant and have been breathing in gas and a rotten egg smell the carpet was not cleaned there's mold behind the toilet we went a whole month without hot water til the hot water tank busted then... Read more »

Kyle Persaud
Kyle Persaud answered on Mar 21, 2019

Realistically, you may not be able to get anything fixed within the time necessary. Your best bet may be to move out of your apartment.

If you can't afford to move out now, here is, I think, your best option: Write a letter to your landlord. In your letter, list all the problems with...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.