Belleville, IL asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Illinois

Q: Can I sue pd for a racial profile stop and search?

While waiting at intersection for green light a Police cruiser pulled into left turning lane alongside of me apparently to make left turn. Upon glancing to his right and making eye contact he allowed traffic to continue and then proceeded to follow me at 2 car lengths. It was a rainy night. After less than a quarter mile he flashed his lights and pulled me over. For half an hour I was questioned and then searched for NO APPARENT REASON. When asked why I was being pulled over he told me I was swerving which never occurred. This officer saw my vehicle ( CADILLAC ESCALADE ) exactly one stop light earlier and never gave indication I had violated any laws. It wasn't until he saw I was HISPANIC IN LUXURY CAR at NEXT LIGHT that he decided to follow me. I was AGGRESSIVELY SEARCHED IN PUBLIC STREET IN THE RAIN. He then gave me A WARNING FOR IMPROPER LANE USAGE. PLEASE HELP ME HOLD HIM ACCOUNTABLE! I am a 61 year old grandpa who should NEVER HAVE TO GO THROUGH THIS!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nrupa Patel
Nrupa Patel
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Decatur, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You can file any lawsuit you want but there is no guarantees you will win and it may cost you more to hire an attorney, then you would ever get from court. You can use Justia to locate a civil attorney near you for a consultation

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.