Jefferson City, MO asked in Criminal Law, Domestic Violence and Wrongful Death for Indiana

Q: My daughter was murdered by boyfriend (& father of daughter, 4); can I sue boyfriend's mother for wrongful death?

His mother is terrorizing me doing horrible, unthinkable, unethical and dishonest things (got my daughter's SSI $ with non-legal, non-valid Guardianship form ($518 per mo). I just got "Co-Guardianship"--she reduced my parenting time by over 75% by manipulating interpretation of paragraph in agreement. She refuses to give me the SSI $ earned by my daughter. Granddaughter has lived with me Friday PM to Monday AM since daughter murdered. I'm getting new attorney to get parenting time restored and get the SSI $.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: No, you can only sue the killer. However, chances are neither she nor her son have money, so you'd spend a lot of time for no result. Not to mention spending money. Do what you are doing to change the custody agreement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.