Chicago, IL asked in Family Law and Child Support for Illinois

Q: how can I stop my ex when he does not no want to pay for my son

my son is 7 , my ex has never done anything we went to court on 2/10 and the support order was processed , he went back on 2/22 to file a modification since he hasn't made his first payment, does he have a case? they had to court order his income records so the 20% the state put on there is correct , I'm am at a lost right now.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Angela Peters
Angela Peters
  • Arlington Heights, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: It sounds as though you went through the state at some point. I would suggest contacting the State's Attorney in your area again, and speak with the child support division.

Ex may be able to modify his obligation going forward, but that does not mean he gets out of paying what he owes from before any modification.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.