Chesapeake, VA asked in Landlord - Tenant and Personal Injury for Virginia

Q: what type of attorney will i need to defend me (landlord) in a mold case?

the was a leaky roof that was repair immediately once my property manger was notified in Aug 2016 shortly after tenant notified property manager of mold someone was sent out to wipe down the walls with clorox solution in Sept. later in late November tenant stated there was mold again. tenant later claim that the problem occurred in June and family of 4 was treated for respiratory problems. do i have a case, delayed notification. tenant has an attorney and certified letter received asking me to contact their office.

property was in excellent condition, prior to tenant everything was brand new due to fire. there was a lot abnormal damage to the property. tenant lived on the premises Feb 2015-Dec 2016

1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory Andrews Cade
Gregory Andrews Cade

A: A landlord and tenant attorney with relevant work experience is usually the most suitable legal professional to represent you under these circumstances. Since they are specialized in handling cases which involve disputes between tenants and landlords, they will certainly be able to provide you with adequate, well-informed legal advice, as well as represent you in court, if necessary. While landlords have to comply with the warranty of habitability and ensure appropriate living conditions for tenants, they are exempt from any responsibility if a problem on the property occurs due to a tenant’s negligence. A landlord and tenant lawyer will undoubtedly be of tremendous help in your situation and will efficiently assist you with sorting it out.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.