Fargo, ND asked in Divorce for North Dakota

Q: I wanna file for divorce but there is a child involved. I've been married since 2009 but he's been in and out of prison.

So we haven't lived like a marriage. But he's getting out In April and he is threating me on taking my daughter away from me. But he found out I moved on and pregnant with a new baby. so I just need to know if there's anything I can do so he won't take my daughter from me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne
  • St. Louis Park, MN
  • Licensed in North Dakota

A: He cannot simply take your child. The child custody arrangement is up to the court. Usually, the court prefers to provide each child with parenting time.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.