Opelousas, LA asked in Contracts, Collections and Landlord - Tenant for Louisiana

Q: need to file suit for non payment of rent over $5000 which court is appropriate in Lafayette, Louisiana?

I've already posted eviction notices and the tenant has moved out as of march 18th 2017

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Joseph Stiegler
Charles Joseph Stiegler
  • New Orleans, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: A claim of this size is probably best brought in Lafayette City Court (assuming it's within city limits). I would contact the Clerk of Court for the 15th JDC and ask how to proceed. I will warn you that even if you do get a court order awarding back rent, in many cases it is very difficult to actually collect.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.