Washington, DC asked in Criminal Law, DUI / DWI and Military Law for District of Columbia

Q: Do you think I'll be getting chaptered?

About a month ago I was caught inderage drinking. I filled out a sworn statement, signed the counselings, everything. I was told I would be getting a Co Grade Article 15. Its still sitting at legal. Now, i just recently got caught underage drinking again mainly becuase i got in a fight and broke my nose. After going through all the paperwork, the new Co Grade got bumped up to a Field Grade. Keep in mind the original Co Grade is still pending, so I'll be getting a Co and Field Grade. I've asked a few trustworthy NCOs and some say I won't be getting chaptered while others say I will. Have you had any experience with anything similar to this? What do you think they may do? I'm a PFC, been in for a little over a year and a half. MOS 11c and potentially moving to a different Co not for punitive action. Just to help fill in their ranks. Haven't started ASAP yet but will be soon.

1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Donald Gifford II
Robert Donald Gifford II
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK

A: With your youth, relative newness to the Army, and rank - you can expect a harsh Article 15 punishment. Being chaptered is possible, but my experience has been that the Army has invested time and money in you and hopefully they see this as something that's in the past. You need to soldier on smartly, no issues, show up early, stay late, and be seen with the crowd that's good for you. All eyes are on you, so you need to put this behind you if you want to stay in. Losing an Honorable Discharge will cost you your GI Bill. That's an expensive penalty.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.