Arvada, CO asked in Insurance Bad Faith for Colorado

Q: Fiance and I had insurance together and was told only 1 of us needed to carry uninsured motor insurance pER house hold.?

My fiance was killed. Uninsured claim paid out but went to his son, why didn't that come to me since we shared that Uninsured policy? And is it true in CO both people have to sign the rejection letter or just one?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Sharing a policy is not the same thing as listed beneficiaries. If the pay-out whet to the deceased's son, you likely were not listed as a beneficiary on the insurance.

If by rejection you mean a modification of beneficiaries, then only the deceased (when living) could modify beneficiaries. After death, the listed beneficiaries are locked. If you mean that the beneficiary wants to repudiate the award, the answer gets complicated. If the beneficiary is an adult (18 years old or older), a signed and notarized repudiation is required. If the beneficiary is a minor, the answer gets complicated because a parent must act in the child's best interest (but if the child repudiates in favor of the surviving parent, a conflict of interest exists--which a minor cannot cure by a simple signature). You may need to contact a probate attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.