Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Colorado Insurance Bad Faith Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith, DUI / DWI, Personal Injury and Car Accidents for Colorado on
Q: I was rear ended by a drunk driver. He never gave his insurance to me or police. Is it legal for me to call/ go see him?

The police report we were given has his name, phone number, address, and the information for the owner of the car (his mom.) It seems like the only way to ask him for his insurance is to call, send a letter, or go to his house. I wasn't sure if any of those options are ok to do.

Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh answered on Mar 29, 2022

Especially if you are injured, but in general, accident/injury lawyers will provide you a free initial consultation and I recommend that you contact a few and take us up on it. You will obtain a better understanding of the process and perhaps get a better idea on how to proceed ----and perhaps... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith, Consumer Law, Business Formation and Business Law for Colorado on
Q: If I own a vehicle and would like to rent it out for profit, can that individual use vehicle themselves for profit?

I charge someone to rent my vehicle. They then use vehicle for Ride Share App then return vehicle after 6hr.

Kevin Michael Strait
Kevin Michael Strait answered on Jan 31, 2022

I see that you are in West Virginia but asking about laws in Colorado. The Colorado law supports you leasing your automobile to someone who then uses it for profit. Leasing an automobile to another person or business can be done at a profit to yourself (just be sure to tell your CPA about that... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith for Colorado on
Q: I have just filed a claim due to hail damage to my home. Can my policy be increased?

I also requested documentation of the coverage policies. The agent said he would send what documents he thought would be pertinent, and my policy was increased. Additionally, the adjustor denied certain parts of my home's siding were damaged by hail and said these areas were due to normal... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Oct 31, 2021

A Colorado attorney could answer best, but your question remains open for four weeks. I'm sorry about the damage to your home. Yes, as a general matter nationwide, premiums could increase. Insurance practices are governed by state law and they can be subject to state-specific conditions under... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Health Care Law, Insurance Bad Faith and Medical Malpractice for Colorado on
Q: What legal grounds do we have for a case against UC Health making a clerical error that costs us money?

She is a soldier in the Army and emergencies such as these are covered by Tricare which is the health insurance provided for military members. She received a bill in the mail for her hospital visit saying that Tricare did not cover the cost because it was not coded by UC Health correctly as an... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Dec 23, 2020

A Colorado attorney, and possibly a military law attorney familiar with the operation of health benefits for members of the armed forces, could advise best here, but your question remains open for three weeks. The matter might require someone familiar with medical coding to look at the CPT and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Insurance Bad Faith and Small Claims for Colorado on
Q: Hi! This is a dental billing issue. I am thinking to go to small claims court re it, but not sure it's worth it

I have received a quote from a dental company for implant, abutment and crown for 4 535$. This is with the consideration that my dental insurance will cover 50% of the first and second part of all work and my out of pocket will be 2212$. I thought that this quote means this info is checked with my... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 29, 2020

A Colorado attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for three weeks. In terms of reimbursement efforts, they could depend on whether that how the clause was worded and the dental company's agreement. One option could be to consult with a Colorado attorney who handles... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith, Insurance Defense and Health Care Law for Colorado on
Q: How do I find a pro bono or sliding scale attorney to deal with long term disability claim against lg insurance company?

I have had an illness for months but specialist is still seeking diagnosis. Short term disability has been exhausted. Long term disability company is asking me to sign medical release for entire medical record and waive HIPAA in addition to other seemingly inappropriate questions that have nothing... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 3, 2020

A Colorado attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for two weeks and you mention needing help quickly. One option is to start reaching out to attorneys who handle disability claims. Many attorneys in that area provide free initial consults - that's between you and the attorneys... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith for Colorado on
Q: Can I sue an insurance company for not covering known car accident expenses?

Over 3 years ago my car was T-boned in the front end when parked and sustained body/axle damage. Their insurance company has been fighting since the beginning about fixing all the axle damage. They sent me to a car body repair place who uses Brakes Plus to fix other issues like axles. Brakes Plus... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Aug 9, 2020

A Colorado attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. It sounds like you were trying to negotiate with the adversary vehicle's insurance carrier. Unfortunately, the premise that generally applies in such situations is that an opponent is not under an obligation... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for Colorado on
Q: I need find a lawyer to discuss a contract signed with a roofing contractor related to a home insurance claim.
Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby answered on Mar 26, 2020

Call me 303-688-0944 or schedule online at

2 Answers | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith for Colorado on
Q: Does a hospital have a legitimate lien if their claim was rejected by my health insurance because they waited too long?

I was treated in an emergency room for injuries from an accident that was the fault of the other driver. I provided my health insurance card at the time of my treatment. 3 months after treatment, the hospital made a claim against my auto insurance medpay, but after ~$2K of payment to the hospital... Read more »

Doug Allen
Doug Allen answered on Dec 17, 2019

Most likely the hospital will have a Lien on your settlement monies. It really depends on the specific laws of your state. Hospital lien laws are very powerful here in my state of Colorado. You would have to look at the hospital lien statute and laws governing that statute in your state.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Insurance Bad Faith for Colorado on
Q: Can a structural engineer force their claims based policy to cover a claim retro, if they have stopped doing business?

Structural engineer who no longer is in business had a claims based policy which supposedly ends when they stop paying the policy premiums. Other contractors the insurance company will cover if they had insurance at the time of work. Is an insurer required to defend a suit after the policy... Read more »

Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby answered on Jul 22, 2019

The answer to your question will depend upon the language contained in your policy. It could be either.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for Colorado on
Q: Recourse for roof damage repair/replacement on a "duplex", where the other owner apparently has no damage?

My dad lives in Longmont. "Duplex" is probably not the correct term: it is a single building that contains two residences, each owned by a separate person. The area has an HOA. There was a hail storm a few months ago. A roofer and my dad's insurance (State Farm) adjuster... Read more »

John Kenneth Joyner
John Kenneth Joyner answered on Nov 2, 2018

You may be better off just having your dad's neighbor go straight to an attorney who specializes in first-party property insurance bad faith claims. That lawyer can get a better idea of the facts of the case and point them in the right direction. Often bad faith insurance litigation firms... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith and Real Estate Law for Colorado on
Q: What type of lawyer is needed to help fight a mechanics lien placed on your property
James A. Greer
James A. Greer answered on Jun 29, 2018

Dear Mechanic’s Lien Defendant: in reply to inquiring about the type of attorney, you should employ an attorney whom has experience in your local jurisdiction in construction litigation, more specifically one whom understands the nuances of filing a “Petition For Release Of Mechanic’s... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith for Colorado on
Q: Fiance and I had insurance together and was told only 1 of us needed to carry uninsured motor insurance pER house hold.?

My fiance was killed. Uninsured claim paid out but went to his son, why didn't that come to me since we shared that Uninsured policy? And is it true in CO both people have to sign the rejection letter or just one?

Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz answered on Mar 22, 2017

Sharing a policy is not the same thing as listed beneficiaries. If the pay-out whet to the deceased's son, you likely were not listed as a beneficiary on the insurance.

If by rejection you mean a modification of beneficiaries, then only the deceased (when living) could modify...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.