Asked in Criminal Law and Appeals / Appellate Law for Maryland

Q: My son was sentenced to 18 months for a first time technical VOP on Friday. Everyone that I have talked to has said the

sentence is completely unjust considering it was a technical violation and he has no record prior to his 2nd degree assault from over a year ago and no criminal history since the probation was ordered. My issue is I can't find any resources regarding appeals, reviews, etc. for a VOP sentence. Are there any? Do we have any options to have the sentence reviewed besides the request for modification of sentence (which will only be reviewed by the original judge)? I searched other cases like this and the sentences were reinstatement of probation, home detention, etc. I haven't been able to find anything this severe.

1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas J. Maronick Jr
Thomas J. Maronick Jr
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Glen Burnie, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: The problem is that a VOP is technically a civil proceeding. The sentence was already given out by the judge who then imposed it upon a preponderance of the evidence finding that the defendant violated probation. So the legal standard is different. Judges have wide latitude to impose the sentence.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.