Detroit, MI asked in Civil Rights and Education Law for Michigan

Q: I have a 12 year old who is cognitive impaired who is being treated unfairly by the principal,staff

How can I build a case against the Detroit public school system regarding my son. He is cognitive impaired (mentally disabled) since he was under 5. He was sent home with black eyes ,bruised face, with feces still on him etc I have pictures emails where I met with people from department of education or etc. They put him in a school with a mixture of kids and staff and security that either don't know who does or does not have a disability. An incident happened yesterday that is just too much to type. They simply don't know or care how to educate an disabled child. My baby was crying and was sad. He kept saying I don't wanna go back ,I don't wanna go back. His father called the teacher to see what had happened and she told his dad that I don't think that this is the class for him. But this is the only class left before high school. And the only school that he could go to that DPS would transport him anywhere else I have to do it myself which there are no schools close to us at all .

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin Shields
Kevin Shields
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Houston, TX

A: You need to contact a special education attorney in Detroit. I can not recommend one but you can search online for a number of options. Your child has a right to an appropriate education. It does not sound like the school is living up to that promise. Students with disabilities are protected under federal law and have a number of rights. There is a legal process to enforce those rights but causes of action can be time limited. I would suggest that you start with finding a special education lawyer in your area as soon as possible.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.