Dayton, OH asked in Family Law, Estate Planning and Probate for Ohio

Q: My father passed away 5 years ago. He was survived by his 2nd wife (my step mom of course)& I do not talk to her at all

I have not seen my step mom since the funeral. I have a brother, step-brother, & step sister. It was always communicated to us kids that there was a will and that the house would be divided equally between the 4 kids. My step mom is now selling the home. Are me and my brother entitled to any of the money from the sale of the home. The house was paid off at the time of my fathers death but unsure if there has been any money borrowed against it in the last 5 years. I am willing to pursue this further and would like advise to steer me in the right direction.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph M Braun
Joseph M Braun
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Hamilton, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: There are a few things that need to be answered before it is determined if you have rights:

1.) You need to find out if there was a will and you will need to produce the original copy to the probate court,

2.) You should find out how the home is titled, as in who the home was deeded to. If the home was deeded to your father and step-mother with rights of survivorship then you may not have any rights. You can find out the language of the deed by looking on the county recorder's website. In Ohio, the county recorder generally has online records you can search.

You should consult an attorney in this matter and they can assist you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.