Cleveland, OH asked in Criminal Law, Education Law and Juvenile Law for Ohio

Q: My 16 year old is having charges pressed on him by the school for unruly. She I obtain a Lawyer when we got to court?

Not listening and so fourth.

I believe it stems from underlying issues which the school fails to address. Such as depression. But, no one (school counselor or principal ) have tried to speak with him without yelling, and calling me and suspending him. This concerns me.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin Shields
Kevin Shields
  • Education Law Lawyer
  • Houston, TX

A: You should obtain a lawyer prior to going to court for any criminal matter. A local criminal lawyer will be able to tell you the strength of school's case and how best to handle. The earlier you contact the lawyer before court, the better.

You may also want to reach out to a special education lawyer. A review of the underlying issues that you mention may show that they potentially stem from a disability. Federal law guarantees each eligible child with a disability a number of rights, including positive behavioral interventions and supports. The school is obligated to help and support any eligible child.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.