Sunnyvale, CA asked in Immigration Law for California

Q: i have had my green card for 10 years im getting married, what is my next step

do i need to fill out documents or marrying an american will make me american

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Borowski Esq
Matthew Borowski Esq
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Buffalo, NY

A: If you've been a lawful permanent resident for 10 years, you are probably eligible to naturalize and become a U.S. citizen. You will need to file an N-400 to do this. If you have had any criminal history, lengthy absences from the U.S., or even repeated speeding tickets or other blemishes on your record, make sure you discuss with an attorney before filing. It has nothing to do with your marriage. Marrying a U.S. citizen does not automatically make you a U.S. Citizen.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.