Asked in Employment Law for Oklahoma

Q: Can an employer retroactively deduct wages paid due to payor source recoupment if the hours worked were assigned hours?

I'm a behavioral health case manager in OK. In Nov 2016 my employer notified me that due to the new overtime laws coming on 12/1/2016, I would need to choose whether I would change from salary to an hourly employee or a fee-for-service employee. I often worked 50 to 60 hrs a week, and they did not wish to pay overtime. I was advised that if I chose hrly I would need to be sure my hrs did not go over 40/ week.If I went fee for service then I would receive 37% of everything I billed in services, and that since my amounts billed prior had always equalled more than what I was making salary,I should be fine, and make more money if I billed even more hrs.Flash fwd to now. My paycheck has $440 deducted from my 1st paycheck in March and over $500 on the 2nd. I was told that I went over the 35 hour limit that OK allows for billable hrs to medicaid, and anything over that had been recouped retroactively,even though the work I did was assigned and I was told to bill. Is there a legal issue here?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Howard Berkson
Howard Berkson
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: You might have a case against the employer for assigning you more work than you can bill and also for making a deduction you did not authorize, if you did not authorize the deduction.. However, it depends on a variety of details that you should discuss with an attorney near you who is familiar with employment law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.