Tampa, FL asked in Consumer Law, Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for Puerto Rico

Q: Property Registry, Inheritance and Reverse Mortgage

My mother-in-law is looking to get a reverse mortgage on her house. We discovered that she and her late husband are the people who hold the mortgage, her late husband is the registered owner with CRIM but her parents are the who the property is registered with with the Property Registry.

1. What steps can mother-in-law take to secure a reverse mortage on the property?

2. Is there any way my husband, who is registered as a heir to his father's estate, be added to the the property registry?

3. Can my husband quit claim to the property to his mother?

1 Lawyer Answer
Robert A. Velez-Montes
Robert A. Velez-Montes
  • Guayama, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Most likely a "Declaration of Heirship (Declaratoria de herederos)" , and a form to the Treasury Department needs to be filled in order to register the house in the Property Registry to the heirs. Also your husband can donate his participation in the heirship to his mother. All that needs to be done before doing any transaction with the house (selling, mortgage, etc).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.