Washington, DC asked in Criminal Law for District of Columbia

Q: Can I choose who to charge in a breaking and entering case? (Washington DC)

I had an incident occur today where three people I know broke my front door and proceeded to enter my residence without my permission or knowledge. Can I charge two of the three with breaking and entering and totally absolve the third of any wrongdoing or would all three most likely get prosecuted if I chose to go further with this. I should have video proof of all three people being involved.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: You can sue in court for trespass and related damage. If you report the matter to the police, they may investigate all 3 people, and the DA solely (nobody else) determines who to charge. More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website, www.AEesq.com. I practice law in CA, NY, MA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business & Contracts, Criminal Defense, Divorce & Child Custody, and Education Law. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

Quentin Douglas Driskell
Quentin Douglas Driskell
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Washington, DC
  • Licensed in District of Columbia

A: If three people used force to enter your house they committed a burglary, a criminal offense. If you reported the incident to the police an investigation should be conducted. Ultimately the government will determine who is charged, and what crimes they may have committed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.