Boston, MA asked in Estate Planning for Massachusetts

Q: My Uncle passed away with no will

He had no children but I was very close to him. He was my godfather. I am pretty sure I was a beneficiary in some of his life insurance. Do you know how I should move forward with this? I don't have much of his personal information like SSN so I don't really know what to do. He doesn't have an executive over his estate

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Theresa Spearing
Theresa Spearing
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Manchester, NH
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: If you are the beneficiary of his life insurance, the life insurance provider will contact you for that payout. If he does not have an executor over his estate or a Will you can file a Petition for Estate Administration to become the Administrator of his estate. When someone dies without a Will the proper term is Administrator rather than Executor. You need to petition the court in the county your godfather lived in. If no one objects to your appointment then you can act on behalf of his estate as Administrator. If you are appointed you will be able to access his personal information such as his social security number.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.