Leesburg, FL asked in Family Law, Adoption, Child Custody and Education Law for Florida

Q: Does a 14 year old has the right to say where and who she wants to live with even if the person is a cousin

Parents are together father has been gone for a year without paying any support. I the cousin has taken care of the mother and her two children. The husband is a recovery drug addict, mother can not control her alcohol both children has seen both parents messed up on drugs all at young ages and has moved to 3 different states and multiple houses due to being evicted for none rent payments. I am inquiring on what legal steps I can take to remove the oldest from this situation due to she is afraid of being kicked out of a house and being homeless and not completing her education

1 Lawyer Answer
Heather  Bryan
Heather Bryan
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Lakeland, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: No, a 14 year old does not have the right to choose where he or she wants to live. If there are this many issues at home, I suggest filing a report with DCF and and trying to get guardianship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.