Asked in Employment Law for Tennessee

Q: recently filed a EEO against my supervisor for harassment in the workplace.

My supervisor is retaliating towards by putting me in areas with larger work volumes and recently changed my shift to a conflicting shift. Shes also tampering with my hours, so i wont recieve my correct pay. I feel forced to quit. What can i do?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: You should report all this to the EEOC to ensure it is included in the charge. It would probably be a good idea to contact a local employment attorney for assistance in handling the EEOC process.

Kirk Angel
Kirk Angel
  • Concord, NC
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Retaliation for filing an EEO is unlawful and you may have a legal claim. I represent many employees in Tennessee and speak from experience when I tell you it is extremely important that you do not quit if you wish to pursue a legal claim against your employer.

Also, I notice that you specifically referenced filing an EEO. I generally see that type of reference when the employee works for the federal government. If you do work for the federal government, please keep in mind that you cannot go directly to the EEOC as a private, non-governmental employee can. You must file an internal EEO and pursue that through your agency. That would include a new EEO on the retaliation. The time for filing those internal EEOs is very short so keep up with the agency filing deadlines if you are a federal employee.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.