Boise, ID asked in Family Law, Domestic Violence, Federal Crimes and Juvenile Law for Oregon

Q: Can my girlfriend file a restraining order against her mother's boyfriend?

My girlfriend (16) is currently living with her mother. Her mother recently got back together with her ex-boyfriend who cheated on her and abused the both of them for years. He also watched my girlfriend change her clothes when she was about 8 years old. He has recently been threatening to hit the both of them again but her mother is refusing to leave him as she believes he's changed and will not see it. This entire situation is making my girlfriend suicidal and giving her extreme depression/anxiety. Is there anyway we could get her out of house and not in Foster Care or maybe even just get a restraining order against him?

1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Your girlfriend may or may not qualify for a restraining order against the boyfriend. If she is living with Mom and her boyfriend, and there are both credible threats of repeat violence she may qualify. One potential problem, though, is that she is underage and would need someone 18 or older to act as her guardian ad litem in order to bring the lawsuit. Mom would be the natural choice but if she is unwilling, someone else who qualifies perhaps could though the court is naturally going to look to Mom to try to understand what is really going on here. If your girlfriend is prepared and able to move out on her own, and support herself with or without your assistance, she could ask the court to declare her an emancipated minor which would likely change her legal status and abilities, but that is both difficult and a rather drastic step to take even if it is feasible (which it may or may not be). Regardless, if violence does occur in the home, be it against her or Mom or both, she needs to immediately report it to the police and to document it as well as she can - keep a record of dates/times/witnesses; take pictures of bruises, etc. Best of luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.