Boston, MA asked in Divorce, Immigration Law and International Law for Massachusetts

Q: I need a consultation on a few things.

I got married in India under Hindu Marriage Act. I am in USA right now on F1 visa and my husband is on H1B visa. Can I get a divorce in USA?

If yes, would it be valid in India as well?

What’s the process for a mutual divorce in USA for international people?

How much money and time would be involved if it’s a mutual divorce?

1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: In Massachusetts if you are residing here with your spouse and the breakdown of the marriage takes place here, then you can commence a Divorce Complaint or have a Joint Petition for divorce here. You do not need to be a citizen to obtain a divorce, but you will need your marriage certificate and it will need to translated by a duly authorized translator or the Indian consulate. The laws of your country will dictate how they view foreign divorce, however.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.