Grand Coulee, WA asked in Criminal Law, Tax Law, Business Law and Divorce for Washington

Q: Divorcing my spouse & we started a construction company about 25 years ago, suspect corp embezzlement by him & officers

My soon to be ex and his business partners have dissipated our business in violation of court orders, taken out and spent all the money ($300K in meals and entertainment in 2 years), casinos, trips, his secretary/girlfriend fixing her car buying her clothes, trips etc. The business is now out of business and they are trying to avoid paying lifetime spousal maintenance. Creditors are hounding me, business lawsuits are coming to me etc., I think they embezzled all the money out of the company. I've hired a forensic accountant who is still investigating in my divorce case but I want to know what my rights are and how can I be sued? I am on the bond but not on the business license, I thought he did a new bond wouldn't that mean I'm not on it anymore etc. What/where is my share of the money they took. The ex started a new construction company, put it in his business partners name only and are trying to basically pull the rug out from under me so I get nothing.

1 Lawyer Answer
Michelle D. Wynn
Michelle D. Wynn
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Melbourne, FL

A: You are likely going to need a business attorney in your area to represent you in any dealings with these creditors who are hounding you. The business attorney should be able to advise you on any potential exposure to creditors claims and defend you if any creditors attempt to collect against you for the debts of the business.

It sounds as if you already have divorce counsel to assist you in the divorce proceedings, but if you have not you most certainly need an experienced divorce attorney in your area on your side as well.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.