Bronx, NY asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Puerto Rico

Q: for several years now, my husband's sister has been staying in our home in Puerto rico while we stay in our home in NY.

She has been staying there rent free and without a lease or contract. She asked us to let her stay at our home since she needed to get back on her feet and had children. She said she would get her own place as soon as she got a job. Her children are grown now. Its several years later. She has had several jobs and we have asked her repeatedly to start looking for a place so we can start using the house again. The last time we gave her a time frame in which we wanted her to move but she still did nothing. she is not paying rent. She is not helping us maintain the house either so it has fallen into disrepair and need to stay there to fix it. What can we do. We would like her to move as soon as possible

2 Lawyer Answers
Barry E. Janay
Barry E. Janay pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Start proceedings to evict her, a local landlord and tenant attorney can help.

A: This is a matter of Puerto Rican law. You need a landlord/tenant lawyer there. New York has nothing to do with it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.