Skiatook, OK asked in Divorce and Workers' Compensation for Oklahoma

Q: Does part of my workers compensation go to my ex wife if the settlement is post divorce? What % goes to child support?

I was injured in 2010. We received a settlement, but left the medical maintenance open - pain management. In July 2015, my condition began to get worse. In Sept 2015, it looked like I was going to have to apply for disability. My wife of 22 years took the kids left as soon as I couldn't work any longer. She cleaned out house and bank accounts while I was in the hospital. I couldn't afford a lawyer, but I managed to negotiate the divorce which is officially done. I began working with my WC lawyer to close out my medical, but due to several major falls from the original injury, several other body parts were injured. The insurance is working on an offer to close out everything. It will include one or all of the following: future medical, new injury payments and total disability. Will my wife be able to take some? How is child support figured on settlement? We have shared custody. She is primary. SS disability is not official yet.

1 Lawyer Answer
Gary Johnston Dean
Gary Johnston Dean
  • Pryor, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: I'm sorry I didn't see your question earlier. I hope by now it has been resolved. If not, please ask it again.

Please visit my website and Subscribe for updates on Oklahoma Law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.