Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Oklahoma Workers' Compensation Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation and Insurance Bad Faith for Oklahoma on

Q: Are employers required to notify as self insured and will handle workers comp claims in house prior to employment?

I went through a claims experience that I didn’t appreciate because I was feeling pushed by my employer to sign off before I felt I was back to normal. She has done this on multiple occasions I have found out. Not looking to sue for money. But I wish to anonymously notify the correct agency so... Read more »

Melissa Oxford answered on Sep 3, 2019

The 2014 Administrative Workers’ Compensation Act allowed employers to “opt out” of the state workers’ compensation system as long as they provided equal or better benefits. Since that time, the Oklahoma Supreme Court struck down the “opt out” provision. Employers can self-insure, but... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Workers' Compensation for Oklahoma on

Q: Does part of my workers compensation go to my ex wife if the settlement is post divorce? What % goes to child support?

I was injured in 2010. We received a settlement, but left the medical maintenance open - pain management. In July 2015, my condition began to get worse. In Sept 2015, it looked like I was going to have to apply for disability. My wife of 22 years took the kids left as soon as I couldn't work any... Read more »

Gary Johnston Dean answered on Mar 9, 2018

I'm sorry I didn't see your question earlier. I hope by now it has been resolved. If not, please ask it again.

Please visit my website and Subscribe for updates on Oklahoma Law.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Workers' Compensation for Oklahoma on

Q: Got hurt at work in Oklahoma Aug 10th 20154 level fusion .They are offering 39 ,000I dont t how think that is fair

They won't look into the mid or lower back.

The Dr did not even mention my complaint

Bradford Kvinta answered on Dec 19, 2017

You need to speak with a personal injury attorney ASAP. Your attorney can help determine whether you're receiving fair compensation for your injuries. As a general rule, represented persons receive more compensation that unrepresented persons.

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law, Employment Law, Personal Injury and Workers' Compensation for Oklahoma on

Q: My daughter was employed by a dog daycare for a very short time when she was bitten trying to stop 2 dogs from fighting

She is 19 and received virtually no training on how to handle situations like that other than to squirt them with a water bottle. There were 3 employees watching 70 dogs. She wasn’t even allowed to leave to get medical treatment even though she was bitten quite badly. What legal actions can she... Read more »

Richard Winblad answered on Oct 22, 2017

She may be entitled to Workers Compensation and/or claims against the dogs' owners. She should seek out an attorney who handles comp & personal injury claims.

1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation and Medical Malpractice for Oklahoma on

Q: W/C ins doctor made reference that an attorney fired me, is this ethical for a doctor to do on a medical report ?

The attorney had improper contact with the ins attorney as monetary amounts were pre set. I am pro se and am fine with it. However, the insurance Co. Doctor make a reference on his report that he should not have known as I didn't tell him my legal situation - the only one that could was the... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing answered on Sep 11, 2017

Don't see that it is. It's irrelevant but it is a fact that you acknowledge.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Personal Injury and Workers' Compensation for Oklahoma on

Q: Me my brother and my aunt got rear ended me and my aunt are sore but fine my brother is hurt. Can we get compensation.

Hospital visit

aunt got meds and checked out can work

Aunt has insurance

I got meds and checked out can work

I have insurance

Brother got checked out hospital did nothing cannot work

Brother has no insurance

Peter N. Munsing answered on Jun 20, 2017

Contact a member of the Ok Trial Lawyers Assn/Assn for Justice. They give free consultations. If rear ended, answer is yes to all.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Personal Injury, Products Liability and Workers' Compensation for Oklahoma on

Q: I developed a pulmonary embolism from work comp surgery, what should I do?

In January I slipped and fell on the job and severed my patellar tendon. The injury required surgical reattachment and for two days after surgery I was told not to move from my bed. I wasn't not sent home on any type of anticoagulants or with an exercise machine and I developed a DVT which led to a... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing answered on Jun 12, 2017

I assume you have a comp attorney. Ask them. If you don't have one , contact a member of the Oklahoma Trial Lawyers Association--they give free consults.

Q: Work comp settlement and/or a medical malpractice lawsuit?

So, in January I fell while on the job which led to a major knee injury (completely severed my patellar tendon). The injury required surgery to reattach the tendon to my kneecap. After surgery I was specifically instructed to go home, elevate the leg, and do not get out of bed for 2 days. I wasn't... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing answered on Jun 9, 2017

If you have a workers comp attorney contact them. If not, contact a member of the Ok Trial Lawyers Assn who handles medical cases --they give free consultations.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Workers' Compensation for Oklahoma on

Q: do you have to see the doctor they choose for you

Peter N. Munsing answered on Oct 4, 2016

You didn't say who--I'm assuming it's the workers comp insurance. Different states have different rules, but generally for a period of time they only have to pay for their doctor--you can use your own but that's on your dime. After a period of time you get to choose, but they can have you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation for Oklahoma on

Q: have there been any new developments or changes in worker's compensation laws in Oklahoma

John Todd Willhoite answered on May 12, 2016

In 2014 Oklahoma switched from a court system to an administrative system. For injuries occurring on or after February 1, 2014 the claim is processed through the administrative system. The change in the law from the old system to the new system are significant. The full extent of the new law is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation for Oklahoma on

Q: what kind of attorney do we need for long term carbon monoxide poisoning by employer in Oklahoma

My husband was working for a company that manufactures drill bits and carbonizes them with high temp furnaces. Well he has Carbon Monoxide levels in his blood of from 1-10. 10 being the worse his was at an 8 and then 2 months of being out of there has only went to a 6. Has been having terrible... Read more »

Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Nov 10, 2015

An attorney who does personal injury litigation.

But in many states workers compensation is an exclusive remedy. This means that a lawsuit against his employer might not be allowed.

Also, CO2 means carbon Dioxide. I believe you mean CO (carbon MON oxide).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.