Asked in Foreclosure and Civil Litigation for California

Q: I have a couple questions drafting a FAC.

I am a plaintiff pro per who filed a complaint and a preliminary injunction. There has been no answer filed yet. The court instructed me to amend my complaint. My question is when I amend do I have to underline/highlight the changes in the FAC? The changes are extensive. I also understand that I need a dec stating the changes I made. Can anyone please help? Unlimited civil in San Francisco. THANK YOU.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Ali Shahrestani, Esq.

  • San Francisco, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You may be best off hiring an attorney to do this properly for you, as it sounds like you might be in over your head. If you can't afford a lawyer, spend time at your local law library. More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website, I practice law in CA, NY, MA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business & Contracts, Criminal Defense, Divorce & Child Custody, and Education Law. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

Louis George Fazzi

  • Jess Ranch, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you do attempt to amend your complaint on your own, you do not have to highlight your changes in any way. Also, you do not need to file a declaration stating what changes you made, unless the court ordered you to do so.

I agree with the other attorneys who have advised you to seek out competent counsel. In San Francisco it should not be too difficult to find highly capable lawyers willing to assist you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.