Bonita Springs, FL asked in Family Law and Child Support for Florida

Q: My husband and I were recently arrested for DV. We were both issued no contact orders. As soon as he got out he threw

our 17 yr old daughter out and told her to live with me. Problem is only money. I lost my job in January. I am mentally a mess from the mental and emotional abuse I endured for 24 yrs but trying to find a job. My husband receives SSID and hid it for several months before moving out. He just went to another hearing and was awarded back disability in which he agreed to pay me $5000 (i have it recorded and in a texr) He now receives money for my daughter but I can't contact him. I know he is using this time to hide whatever he can. He told me he had filed for divorce in which we were going to file uncontested. But the attorney said he never filed. He also does have other sources of income that he does not report but I can easily prove. I can't put food on the table please give me a place to start.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Victoria Lyn Anderson
Victoria Lyn Anderson
  • Orlando, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: I would suggest filing your own divorce and not wait for him to do it. It also doesn't sound like you have an uncontested divorce so I probably wouldn't wait for that either. If after you get it started, you two reach an agreement that is fine but I would still get it started.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.