Tyler, TX asked in Child Custody, Family Law and Estate Planning for Texas

Q: Can i appoint a legal guradian in a will for my son other than his father if something were to happen to me?

We are divorced and my childs father has a history of drug abuse and is in cps system for child neglect, he can not keep a steady job and does not pay child support, he does not have a valid drivers license and constantly says he can not feed himself, therefore, i do not believe he could take care of our child if something were to happen to me.

1 Lawyer Answer
James Norman Willi
James Norman Willi
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Yes, you can designate legal guardians in your last will and testament.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.