Atlanta, GA asked in Immigration Law and Divorce for Georgia

Q: A very young georgian couple wants to divorce and need to know the best course. She is a black citizen. He is indian.

A very young georgian couple wants to divorce and need to know the best course. She is a black citizen. He is indian. She cheated on him and is pregnant with another man's child. He obtained his perm res as a benefit of being her spouse. She had a child before the marriage who was not his and he never adopted. Should they file no fault or infidelity? They do not want to raise any flags. They have been married 5 years.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kelly Case
Kelly Case
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: This is a very good question - good enough to be on a law school exam! They need to meet with and hire a lawyer. Any answer that a lawyer could give on this medium, for free, would be about worth the price they paid for it. Because of the various issues involved, I would suggest they take immediate steps to secure their lawyers. At a minimum there are immigration issues, family law issues including child support and custody that will affect any advice given. And these are not so simple - so it really is better that a lawyer is secured that can review their situation and provide each of them with the best advice for each of them. This may mean they each need their own lawyer, which is usually the best case so that the interests of each person is preserved.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.